Friday, March 16, 2012

Foliage Follow-up - March 2012

Today is Foliage Follow-Up at Pam Penick's Austin blog Digging. But as I ventured out to take some photos for today's post, I discovered flowers that hadn't been open yesterday for my Bloom Day post. Forgive me for hijacking the foliage post but I first had to include this image of tiny Tulipa hageri x aucheriana 'Little Princess' as a Bloom Day postscript. What an amazing difference one day of just partial sun can make!


Now on to our intended subject: foliage.

First, moss. I love the way moss looks good in Portland's wettest weather. This is Sagina subulata, also known as Irish Moss. Right on time for St. Patrick's Day, it's looking fabulous.

A naturally occurring moss in the garden: it came here all by itself.

The new growth on the salal, Gaultheria shallon, brightens up the understory of the cedars.

Eryngium planum 'Jade Frost' is sprouting a small rosette of pink-edged leaves.

 The new foliage of Astilbe arendsii 'Glow' reminds me of a small peony unfurling.


Our mild winter was kind to Tetrapanax papyrifera 'Steroidal Giant' - that lower leaf lasted all winter and more are coming quickly now. I'm thrilled by its promise of greater height this summer.


My chartreuse Japanese maple is just beginning to open. I liberated this as a 2-inch seedling  - one of hundreds under a landscape tree at Providence hospital. After four years, it's over four feet high.

And speaking of chartreuse, there's no better color to epitomize spring. Here is Sedum 'Angelina' with a few Sisyrinchium californicum poking through.



Thank you, Pam, for hosting Foliage Follow-Up today!


3 comments:

  1. And thank YOU for showing off your beautiful spring leaves! I love that you included Irish moss in honor of St. Patrick's day. Besides, it's a great foliage plant all year round for you lucky Pacific Northwesterners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. You must have wet knees from leaning low to get these mossy shots. I love the rocks and the way the moss grows around and then up and over it. Beautiful photos all around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you about the moss...just so wonderful, especially right now. I love that you saved that little Japanese Maple seedling! I actually tried the same thing with a seedling from my neighbors' tree...sadly, Norm stepped on it :-(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for jumping through the annoying but necessary word verification hoop to leave your thoughts!