Friday, May 25, 2012

10 items or less*

A few random things I'm enjoying in the garden right now:

1) My Ceanothus 'Victoria' in full bloom. It's a deeper blue than I seem able to capture.


2) Bees vibrating over said Ceanothus.

3) Flowers on Halmiocistus wintonensis 'Merrist Wood Cream'.

4) Agave parryii var truncata is making a pup!

5) Tiny Geranium subcaulescens blooming in a trough.


6) Melianthus major 'Purple Haze' making a summer comeback.


7) Another trough with Lewisia rediviva and a tiny dianthus NOID.


8) Ensete ventricosum 'Maurelii' emerging from last year's stump.


9) The jungle-y look of bamboo with Tetrapanax, both celebrating their second spring.




10) An unnamed orchid re-blooming for the third time.



11) End of the day out in the garden, while the Mulch Man barbeques our dinner.


And I see I've gone over my 10 items. I'll have to get in the regular checkout lane for my next post.

*A great little 2006 indie comedy, starring Morgan Freeman and Paz Vega.  

13 comments:

  1. My neighbor has a very large Ceanothus in her backyard and you can hear the humming of the bees from clear on the other side of the house.

    I'm enjoying that last thing in my yard as well--it seems appropriate in any zone. :) Your garden looks so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is how aggressive the Ceanothus bees seem to be, unlike the usual blissed-out spring bees. I have to be careful taking pics or even going through the gate.

      Delete
  2. You get 15 items because your Ceanothus is absolutely magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've was just pointing out my Ceanothus to Philip and saying "don't you think another one would look nice next to it. they are just the best !

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Ceanothus is AMAZING! How old is it? Is it really as big as it looks?

    Agave pups are the best, and must be a good Agave mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loree, that Ceanothus was planted in fall 2007, so this is its fifth spring. It was one of the first plants I put in when we moved here. And yes, it's pretty big - about 7-8 high by 10-12 wide!

      Delete
  5. I love the ceanothus; we can grow the native white one but haven't had much luck with any of the blue types. Gotta try again. I love melianthus, the color and the texture. You have some great plants!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, that ceanothus is lovely -- and now I know your garden is 5 years old. Looks so mature!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't find that film on netflix ... drat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I'll send you the link when I'm at a computer and can copy/paste properly!

      Delete
  8. I want another Melianthus....whine, whine, whine. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for jumping through the annoying but necessary word verification hoop to leave your thoughts!