Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - January 2014

It's Garden Bloggers Bloom Day! Hosted for seven years now by Carol Michel, of May Dreams Gardens, Bloom Day is a look at what's blooming on the 15th of each month. I began posting sporadically for Bloom Day in June of 2010, and my posts have been consistent for about the past 2 1/2 years. I'm really appreciating the structure this meme gives my visual records of the garden.

This month, there are some flashier blooms indoors, but first let's look outdoors.

Arctostaphylos 'Austin Griffiths'. I showed this in early bloom last month, and this month it is well into full coverage. A brilliant hummingbird buzzed me as he swooped in for a sip here yesterday.

Primula veris is still in bloom!

Rosemary is a reliable January bloomer and like the two above, I also showed it in December.

I've been forcing Daphne odora 'Aureomarginata' blooms indoors, but the outdoor blossoms are still pretty tight.

The same is true of Camellia sasanqua 'Yuletide'. Our three plants lost a lot of buds after the December cold spell so it will be a poor show if and when they do finally unfurl.

Moving indoors, I showed this NOID Streptocarpus last month - it's still blooming.

Another Streptocarpus in its first bloom after being repotted. It's not a lot, but it counts!
I've been enjoying Clivia miniata 'Belgian Hybrid Orange' for weeks now. And see the slim flower stalk to the left of the bloom?

It's from a Dyckia hybrid and I'm thrilled to have its tiny orange and yellow blooms in the house this month.

What's blooming in your garden this month? Check out the fun and more blooms at May Dreams Gardens.

Happy Bloom Day!

8 comments:

  1. Love 'Austin Griffiths'...he's a handsome gent :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane, As soon as I saw your Austin blossoms I was going to ask if the hummers are enjoying them. My similarly flowered Arbutus enedo is finished now but boy the hummers were happy, all the more reason why I must have Austin in my garden. I'm going to buy a few primrose plants. They're so pretty. I love the color on yours. Your daphne looks amazing. Mine lost literally every single leaf. The buds are there but they microscopic. Your indoor bloomers are enchanting too. We're off to a good year, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I were a flower and I wanted a whole lot of attention, I would bloom now...not that Your blooms couldn't stand some competition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's slim pickings out there in my garden right now. Loved seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially enjoyed the last two images, battle of the orange flowers! Who will win? The bigs or the littles...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am swooning so much over the stems on your Austin Griffiths I barely noticed the blooms. You've got a good show for January!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Clivia is beautiful, and I'm jealous of the Daphne.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for jumping through the annoying but necessary word verification hoop to leave your thoughts!