Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - April 2014

It's Bloom Day! Let's get right to April's lovely flowers at Longview Ranch, shall we?

First up, one of my favorites: Lewisia cotyledon 'Sunset Series'.

And here it is with a pinker companion from the same series.
I love these Lewisias so much that I bought two more at Hortlandia, the Hardy Plant Society sale this past weekend. These are from the 'Storytella' hybrid series. (Yes, I'm cheating showing newly purchased plants, but they have wonderful flowers and I did put them in the ground today.)

Not to be upstaged by the newcomers, Camellia 'April Kiss' is still hanging in there with a few perfect blossoms.

Cornus 'Eddies White Wonder' is strutting her lovely green-to-cream blossoms. After months of the buds just sitting there, they burst seemingly in a matter of days.

Tiny Dodecatheon hendersonii reappeared, like magic!

The last of the species tulips, Tulipa dasystemon.

Loropetalum chinense 'Sizzling Pink'. The flowers are cute whether they're furled or fringed.

Saxifraga x urbinium "Aureopunctata'. The little flowers are not the reason to grow this pretty groundcover, but the blooms still say spring to me.

Armeria maritima. This whole plant is smaller than the palm of my hand.

Aeoniums look like flowers all the time, except when they flower!

Finally, a couple more plants from Hortlandia. Epimedium grandiflorum, already planted in the Northwest Territory.

And a little Erisimum kotschyanum for the sunny front bed.

Celebrate Bloom Day by visiting our host, Carol, at May Dreams Gardens and enjoy the wealth of April flowers to be found there.

Happy Bloom Day!


11 comments:

  1. It amazes me how far ahead your lewisia always are, mine are just buds and don't look like they'll be open for a week or so.

    Fun to see you at the sale, over and over again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you'll enjoy your Lewisias while mine are a fond memory, Loree!

      Delete
  2. Your Lewisias are gorgeous! I have one that is flowering, but it looks like several others that I planted a couple of years ago have just disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Lewisias seem to need extra good drainage to be happy, Alison.

      Delete
  3. I'm on the lookout for some of those orangish Lewisias. There were only pinks and yellows by the time I got to Hortlandia on Sat. I'm glad you could add to your collection, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled to see this series, Ricki, as the orange coloration was new to me. All hail hybrids!

      Delete
  4. I am awed by your Lewisias - what incredible blooms - so evocative of spring. I'm a big fan of species tulips also, I have some much like your T. dasystemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are your species tulips called Tulipa tarda, Jason? That's another name I have seen for the dasystemon. I love the species tulips, too!

      Delete
    2. No, the ones I'm thinking of are called Tulipa biflora and turkestanica. The yellow base is not so prominent.

      Delete
  5. I love those Lewisias--you have many treasures in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Lewisias are really nice. The two that I have are in full bloom right now. They're so pretty. Glad to see so many lovely beauties in your garden Jane.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for jumping through the annoying but necessary word verification hoop to leave your thoughts!