Saturday, August 23, 2014

August luck, and musings on Mother Nature

If I do say so myself, I am a humble gardener. When things go right in my garden, I generally don't think it's my doing. What I usually think is that I got lucky. Lucky gardening and the beneficence of Mother Nature in my garden have been on my mind this week. Let me explain.


Last year I lost my huge and very favorite Agastache 'Acapulco Orange' to winter. Multiple web searches turned up no stock anywhere to replace it. Then a month or so ago, I spied a tiny seedling in the garden that looked like young Agastache foliage. I hardly dared to hope, but it now seems irrefutably to be growing into exactly that plant. I had assumed it was a sterile hybrid, but I got lucky.

I stopped by a Fred Meyer in Vancouver last week and found this four-foot Musa basjoo plant for the lofty sum of $4.99. Lucky, right?

I bought this Abutilon megapotamicum at Cracked Pots last year and I was sure I lost it over winter. The little sticks of its remaining branches were dry and sad looking.
It's lucky I didn't give up on it earlier, because now, not only is it most definitely alive, it is finally beginning to flower.

Ceanothus 'Victoria' blooms profusely in May. Then in August, when the last thing on my mind is its flowers, comes this: a single, sweet reminder of one of my all-time favorite spring blossoms. Thank you, Mother Nature!
This piece of August luck came in the form of a mystery: I have almost no idea what this is, nor do I know from whence it came, but I love its big, dusty gray leaves sprouting from the point where a patch of Lilium columbianum had lately bloomed. I'll hazard a guess this is a volunteer Verbascum of some kind. Time will tell the answer and meanwhile I'll enjoy the surprise.
Lewisia columbiana var. walloensis has been a non-stop summer bloomer in a gravelly part of the Northwest Territory. It's winding down now, but not without leaving a little present.
I recently discovered a little seedling of the Lewisia going for broke just in front of the Eriogonum compositum. It's just delightful when the plants you really love are the ones that really love your garden.

So is it luck, or is Mother Nature working extra hard on my behalf this month?
I'll take it, whichever it is!

20 comments:

  1. You're also pretty good at what you do, making your garden hospitable to surprise gifts.
    ReplyDelete

    Replies


    1. I tend to call it benign neglect. ;-)
      Delete
  2. "It's just delightful when the plants you really love are the ones that really love your garden." Well-said! It makes all the inexplicable losses worth while! Exciting to see someone else growing Eriogonum. Yes!!!! One of my favorites, for so many reasons. PS Your banner photo is glorious.
    ReplyDelete

    Replies


    1. I love that Heartleaf Buckwheat, Kate. I might get som more. The white under the leaves is fabulous.
      Delete
  3. It's both so give yourself some credit. My lewisia needs less soil and more gravel. Off to garden in the dark. :o)
    ReplyDelete

    Replies


    1. Gardening with a flashlight - you're dedicated!
      Delete
  4. I'm pretty sure anything good happening in my garden right now is down to pure dumb luck. Hooray for all the good things happening there!
    ReplyDelete

    Replies


    1. Not dumb luck, Alison - it's GOOD luck!
      Delete
  5. Such lovely surprises, and I agree with Miss Heather and Casa ...there's talent at work here, too :)
    ReplyDelete

    Replies


    1. Garden surprises are the best!
      Delete
  6. "Fortune favors the prepared [gardener]" :-)
    ReplyDelete

    Replies


    1. Prepared, me? ...hmmm, not so much!
      Delete
  7. Uncommon volunteers are one of the best surprises in the garden I think.

    Basjoo for $5?! Stick that thing into the ground and get the party started! (A single banana is a little sad -- you want a clump!)

    I also have a Verbascum volunteer that arrived out of nowhere. It's actually in a good spot too!
    ReplyDelete

    Replies


    1. I don't know about in the ground, Alan. I lost one a few years ago and haven't dared since. This point in the year seems a bit tricky for planting a tropical.
      Delete
  8. Yay for the happy surprises! I always find the best way to get a plant to re-appear is to buy it's replacement...works every time ;-)
    ReplyDelete

    Replies


    1. Now THAT is definitely Mom Nature at work!
      Delete
  9. This is one of the cheeriest end-of-August garden posts I've read. You must be doing something right to be this humble and wise in August!
    ReplyDelete

    Replies


    1. I guess calling myself humble means I'm not. I'm reminding myself of Uriah Heep in David Copperfield...
      Delete
  10. I share all the above sentiments and will add that this bit of gardening luck couldn't happen to a nicer gardener.
    ReplyDelete

    Replies


    1. Aww, Jenni, thank you! Same back atcha!
      Delete
Thank you in advance for jumping through the annoying but necessary word verification hoop to leave your thoughts!

6 comments:

  1. Umble? I very much doubt that Dickens ever encountered anyone remotely like you. His mood would have been considerably less dour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do seem to be having a lot of good fortune for the end of August. A lot of Agastaches I have grown did not return, so that is great, even a named variety! And a cute little baby Lewisia! If I ever try to grow one again I will have to try the gravel. I have both Mullein and Foxglove mysteriously appear sometimes in my garden, only to disappear again for years. Congratulations on getting your deleted post back, I did that once but ended up with a crippled post that wouldn't allow comments, so great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, you are a fabulous gardener and the space you've created welcomes such wonderful surprises! That Musa Basjoo find makes me think that it wouldn't hurt to buy a lotto ticket while fortune is smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane I love these happy surprises! Two plants I thought were dead were my Star Jasmine and my Eucalyptus nicholii. The moral of the story is patience and a watchful eye. Major score on the Musa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blue Ceanothus, ours is a rather dull white. And I agree that luck and surprises make gardening what it is, and it would be so much less satisfying if it were entirely predictable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good things come to good people, so I'm not surprised at all at your "luck". :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for jumping through the annoying but necessary word verification hoop to leave your thoughts!