Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - April 2015

Here it is, the Ides of April. Since I've already (just barely) filed my taxes, I'm free to indulge myself in the blooms of April at Longview Ranch. Here's what's looking flowery.

Lewisia cotyledon 'Sunset Series. They're not as full yet as in my header picture, but they're still a great hit of pink and orange.

I have other Lewisias, but the L. cotyledon 'Sunset Series' are the first to flower in my garden.
 I'm not sure whether I like the flowers or the foliage better on Loropetalum chinense 'Sizzling Pink'.

It lights up a shady corner of the back garden beautifully.
Inherited Camellia japonica still making blooms. Our cool spring is helping keep it that way.

Primula sieboldii 'Lacy Lady', looking a little dissonant beneath the Camellia pictured above. Just don't look at them together!

Armeria maritima 'Victor Reiter' is a tiny attention-getter.

Helianthemum 'Henfield Brilliant' looks a little droopy here because I shot this at the end of the day, when the flowers were closing for the night. It's actually having a good, flowery year.
One of my favorite blooms, Halmiocistus wintonensis 'Merrist Woods Cream', is just breaking out. With the predicted dry and sunny days coming up, this shrub will soon be covered with these dreamy, creamy flowers.

Abutilon megapotamicum is so much earlier this year, probably due to our mild winter.

This is the second bloom on this yellow rose - the first opened about a week ago. My lack of affection for the inherited roses is well documented, but I offer this image in the spirit of proper recordkeeping.

Corydalis flexuosa 'O'Byrne Blue' is a gorgeous azure against a carpet of Lysimachia nummilaria 'Aurea'.

My Olea europea 'Arbequina' has its usual buds galore, but we'll see if they get any better pollination this year: last year resulted in just five olives. I'm ready to get out the paintbrush this year.

One of two Pieris japonica 'Prelude' from Roger Gossler's visit to the Xera Shop a couple of weekends ago. I always kind of took Pieris for granted in the past, but both plants of this very small, low cultivar are covered with blooms and perfect for our expanded shady bed in the front garden.
Fothergilla gardenii 'Mt Airy' is unfazed by the regular rain we've had over the past few weeks, and continues to bloom. I guess I should be glad it's been relatively cool and wet, so I can enjoy the blooms that much longer.
Last, I can't stop admiring the showy bracts of Cornus 'Eddie's White Wonder'. They're lovely during the day, but even better at dusk when the flowers are suffused with an unearthly and beautiful glow you just have to see to believe.
And that's it for my Bloom Day. This monthly look at what's blooming is hosted by Carol Michel at May Dreams Gardens. She has lots more to see if you click over there.

Happy Bloom Day!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Jane, look at all of your pretty blooms! I've been enjoying my Fothergilla too. I don't remember it lasted this long last year. And, sad to say, I believe I've killed my lewisia. I don't think my drainage has been good enough for them. Really quite sad. Enjoy this gorgeous upcoming weekend!! Happy GBBD :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Primula and Lewisia. And that dogwood is a sight to behold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dissonance? It doesn't stand a chance of finding a way into your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to figure out a spot for Lewisia- they are so fabulous !

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many great flowers! I love that pieris. It looks like you clipped a branch off of a large one and just stuck it in the ground! I need more pieris (I've always loved them). Lewisia are near the top of my list to plant after the new fence goes up. I should get some to enjoy in containers anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy GBBD, Jane! You have a lovely variety of flowers. I bought a couple of those Lacy Lady Primulas for my new shade bed, but then decided they clashed, so I'm putting them elsewhere. I might need a dogwood too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Lewisia are blooming! Mine just have fat buds, as though they were determined to not bloom until the 16th.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Lewisia are beautiful. They never last long for me so I'm impressed! Same for the Loropetalum! You rock. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your blooms. I have nary a bud on my Lewisia so I'm a teensy bit jealous. :) A few weeks ago I bought a white Primula sieboldii at Dancing Oaks. They're so pretty, aren't they? I have to tell you, I purchased another 'Darlow's Enigma' rose the other day. I'm going to give it more room this time. I hope yours is doing well. Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for jumping through the annoying but necessary word verification hoop to leave your thoughts!