Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Wednesday Vignette - cautionary images

I've posted in years past about our bamboo experiences at Longview Ranch. We have a history and a love-hate relationship with several of the varieties. Visiting The Bamboo Craftsman in Kenton yesterday, I marveled at the array of beautiful bamboos, including some stately and massive timber bamboo (Bambusa oldhamii) planted on site.

They're a bit hard to see in the picture below, but the astounding new culms of the timber bamboo were well over my head at about 8 feet tall, and still had hardly lost any of their sheaths.

Further along, I came upon this display.
Not only is that root huge, it would probably still grow if it was planted in the ground again.
Watch out!

Check out other Wednesday Vignettes at Flutter and Hum today.

8 comments:

  1. I've never been brave enough to try bamboo. This is why!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if you're aware that my neighbors planted running bamboo a few years ago. I dug a trench but I doubt it is going to be a long term solution. I'm constantly watching that area for culms. It kind of annoys me because I didn't sign on for this. I will say though that it is pretty to see the bamboo on the other side of the fence. I love that timber bamboo. So majestic. Maybe in our next life we'll have acres and acres of land to plant it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your neighbors should be responsible for their bamboo! (He says remembering that he let some rhizomes escape last year and some wayward shoots came up across the property line...)

      Delete
  3. There is no more rewarding plant when you see those big shoots poke out of the ground and wonder about their eventual height. Shooting season is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently discovered that after probably 6 or 7 years in the ground my black bamboo has found a way to escape is metal casing. Starting to feel a little bit panicky about it, actually... :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonder about their old location on Fremont, if the fab bamboo plantings are still there. Did you ever go to that one. It was magical. That root is scary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bamboo is so invasive here I never even see it for sale. If I had a neighbor plant it and it escaped into my garden, I'd lose my mind. I prefer to admire it's beauty from afar - as in through a photograph of another country, if possible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard horror stories about bamboo. I'm keeping my distance.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for jumping through the annoying but necessary word verification hoop to leave your thoughts!