Thursday, November 16, 2017

A belated Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - November 2017

It was a wet and windy scene at Longview Ranch when I took these pictures, but travel meant I couldn't publish until today for Bloom Day. Some of the regulars are back and holding tough against the elements, and a few seasonal changes brighten up the offerings this month.

Like these crazy blooms; Fatsia japonica, with its perfect, sputnik-like blooms, was just made for the garden of a mid-century modern home. My mid-century modest house will have to do for this particular specimen.

Also new this month are the welcome flowers of Camellia sasanqua 'Yuletide'. They seem a little early this year, but they will carry on for months if the weather doesn't stomp them. I see the ants are enjoying them, too.
The blooms of Abutilon megapotamicum look to me like little Chinese lanterns hanging off the branch.



The last, sopping wet trusses of Rosa 'Sally Holmes' are still hanging on. The big seasonal chop is coming to this plant soon.

Also bedraggled, but still quite definitely blooming, is Erigeron glaucus, commonly known as seaside fleabane, beach aster, or seaside daisy.

Well look: it's our old friend Daphne 'Eternal Fragrance'.

There are certain species that I don't keep very good track of when I have a number of them. Heathers and heaths are two of those species, so I can't tell you what this autumn blooming heather is. I had to pull off a layer of fallen maple leaves even to see that it was blooming.

It's rosemary bloom time. This is another species whose cultivar names I tend to be casual about, but I remember it was sold as Barbeque Rosemary. It's a compact, upright plant with clean, simple spears, perfect for skewering veggies when done carefully.

Mahonia 'Soft Caress' was blooming for last month's Bloom Day, and although it's nearly done, it still adds a little bright yellow to the green scene.

I'll leave you with the blooms of a NOID Schlumbergera. Their intense coral color is the perfect antidote to our wet, windy November weather.
I'm joining in on Bloom Day, hosted on the 15th of the month by the lovely Carol Michel over at May Dreams Gardens.

Happy (belated) Bloom Day!


3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad we haven't had a frost yet this fall. Beautiful blossoms, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of lovelies looking quite happy in your November garden! Happy belated GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed several Camellia sasanqua 'Yuletide' blooming around town and thought the show seemed early. Love the Abutilon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for jumping through the annoying but necessary word verification hoop to leave your thoughts!