Friday, November 16, 2012

A Belated November Bloom Day

Things at Longview Ranch are much quieter this month. It's mostly a case of falling leaves and more falling leaves. But I have a few blooms to share with you - and a surprise appearance.

I've qvetched about the plume color on this Cortaderia selloana and apparently it heard me: they have bleached out to a nice pale white. It makes me happy to see them against this rare blue sky.

I wish there were more hummingbirds around to enjoy the constant and continuing bloom of Agastache 'Acapulco Orange.


Kniphofia 'Timothy' has sent up one last flower head.
There is the usual complement of almost-microscopic blooms, like these tiny flowers on Parthenocissus tricuspidata.

Here's a closeup. The open blossom is less than 1/4-inch wide.

Another small bloom on a species Rosemary.

And tiny Delosperma 'Oberg'.
The blooms on Rosa 'Sally Holmes' get bedraggled in the rain, but give her a few dry days and she comes back nicely.

Of course, the rain is excellent for fungi. If I knew more, I'd be tempted to harvest these for the kitchen.



One of the happiest plants in the garden right now is the Fatsia japonica. Its fat, sputnik-like blooms are attracting both me and the bees.

And here's the surprise: one of three Camellia sasanqua 'Yuletide' planted in the Northwest Territory last month has burst into bloom. All three were covered in buds when we bought them, but I didn't expect flowers until late December or January. I'm enjoying their unexpected cheer in the garden this month.



I'm a day late for Bloom Day, hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens, so take a look: I'm sure there are lots of flowers already there to enjoy. Happy Belated Bloom Day!

21 comments:

  1. Nice photos, Jane! Always a pleasure to get your posts! Just dug up my "Yuletide" yesterday. Heading out now to find it a better home in the garden now... Hopefully it won't take too much offense and kindly bloom in a couple of months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My experience has been that Yuletide is pretty resilient, Anna.

      Delete
  2. I am very excited to see the Kniphofia 'Timothy' bloom, since I was the lucky recipient of one of yours at the plant exchange. Love it and your happy Camellia surprise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like 'Timothy' Loree. It took its time getting settled, but it has exceeded expectations this year.

      Delete
  3. Oh, those Camellia blooms! So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Surely you have need of one as a screen somewhere, Heather.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know that you had the power to influence plants to that degree, Jane...you are the Pampas Whisperer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes up for my lack of ability to herd cats...

      Delete
  5. I love your bloom day, Jane!!! That pampas grass is a sight to behold - especially in the rare sun as you put it. And I'm soo happy to see those blooms on your camellia! Mine are always super late bloomers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sasanqua camellias for their earlier blooms, but this is even more epic, Louis!

      Delete
  6. Pampas looks so furry and soft. Yuletide is glorious. I got one, put it in a nice sunny spot and then summer happened and it got covered with the foliage of some giant grasses. I hope it'll bloom...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably loved the shade of the grasses, and after you expose it, it will bloom better as a result!

      Delete
  7. 'Yuletide' is enough to fill even the grumpiest grinch with the holiday spirit. I need one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your need for Yuletide doesn't mean you're a grumpy grinch, Ricki - nothing seems further from the truth!

      Delete
  8. Great pictures! I also grow Sally Holmes, isn't she a wonderful rose? Also, I love the cortaderia and the color on that Kniphofia.

    Oh, and kvetch with a q? Is that a dialect of Yiddish I'm not familiar with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm, that's British kvetching, Jason. Thanks for setting the record straight!

      Delete
  9. Nice blossoms. I still want to replace my dead 'Yuletide.' Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bevy of plants is inspiring after we're shutting down in zone six. I harken from Sydney in Oz and camellias will always be my favorite flower though few people know what I'm talking about. Plant snob, they may think. First spotted Yuletide at Missouri Botanical when I lived in St. Louis. In 20 years after global warming puts me in zone 8, it will be the first thing to plant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post, worth the wait. Of course the 'Yuletide' is a thrill, but the tiny Delosperma is a jewel, too. The Pampas though is a deadly enemy here--most insanely invasive. I hope it is not that way in your climate. Cut all the flowers and pop them in a vase if it is...and a beautiful very belated bloom day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Getting hammered with rain, by the way? We're getting just the tail end, a delicate drizzle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great article! Thanks for sharing and more power to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for jumping through the annoying but necessary word verification hoop to leave your thoughts!