Wednesday, October 28, 2015

A rain-soaked Wednesday vignette

Before I moved to Portland (back in the stone age) I imagined Oregon to be exactly as I experienced most of today: misty, gentle precipitation that gradually soaked my green surroundings. I fantasized it hydrating me at the same time as it fed the earth. And I thought it would be ecological nirvana.
Since living here, my Oregon reality is a lot more balanced. After all, we have these dry Mediterranean summers. But seeing this piece of my creative neighbor Julie's retaining wall today brought me back to my imagined future habitat. It's a moist medley of stones, marble, salvaged iron, a big cast-off shellfish, succulents, nasturtiums and a tiny white-flowered begonia. The wet, shining Liriodendron tulipifera leaves add a seasonal stained-glass accent I love.

I'm joining my friend Anna at her blog Flutter and Hum today. Check out other Wednesday vignettes, including hers, by clicking over.

6 comments:

  1. That's what I thought too, Jane - before moving here. I had this vision of misty ferns and mosses, which to me equals paradise personified. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this shot of the metal and stone together with the vegetation. I grow succulents and nasturtiums in my stacked concrete wall too. Before I moved here, I expected the wet weather, but not the dry summers. I have a hard time convincing friends and family back east that we have long periods of dry weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha...I have to admit...I still feel like I was misled about our weather...these summers are sapping me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got a soaking recently, also. It was very much needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nirvana took a holiday but now it's back...hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    An Thái Sơn với website anthaison.vn chuyên sản phẩm máy đưa võng hay máy đưa võng tự động tốt cho bé là địa chỉ bán máy đưa võng giá rẻ tại TP.HCM và giúp bạn tìm máy đưa võng loại nào tốt nhất hiện nay.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for jumping through the annoying but necessary word verification hoop to leave your thoughts!