Sunday, April 16, 2017

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - April 2017

Another month has gone by and a few days of sunshine (finally!) have buoyed my spirits amazingly. Although there aren't lots of blooms at Longview Ranch, new growth is showing on almost everything that didn't die in the miserable winter of 2016-2017. But let's have a look at the few flowers we do have.

Lewisia cotyledon 'Sunset Series' is beginning to flower. But it hasn't reached the splendor of the one in my header yet, and wait - where are all those cute stripes this year? I love Lewisias so much that I bought yet another yesterday at Hortlandia - the Hardy Plant Society of Oregon's spring plant sale. (And that sale is the reason this post is a day late.)
Since last month, Camellia 'April Kiss' has bloomed and is now on its last few flowers.

Mahonia repens was tightly budded last month. This month it's in full, glorious flower in the Northwest Territory.

A seriously-needed chop to Mahonia aquifolium means there are only a couple of blooms this spring. They're doing their best to carry the torch.

Ribes sanguineum has been feeding the resident and migratory hummers all month.


After some winter damage from snow, Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum 'Sizzling Pink' is recovering and beginning to bloom.

Beesia deltophylla is sending up delicate white spikes. It's a handsome evergreen plant and one of those I'd grow even if it had no flowers.

Other tiny white flowers are on these Primula sieboldii 'Late Snow', making a welcome comeback.

Another white surprise is the flower puff on this ground cover Cardamine trifolia. I hope it will take off his year.

Daphne x transatlantica 'Eternal Fragrance' looks good and smells divine. I am so impressed with this shrub.

Oxalis oregana is bent on world domination. Some reigning in is needed here, but it is a lovely, native, evergreen ground cover.

Speaking of reining in, none needed here. Yes, I know Vinca minor is considered an invasive in Oregon (and with good reason near natural areas) but the conditions are so poor under our three thirsty, urban trees that we constantly have to encourage it to grow. I guess I can kiss any Wildlife Certified garden designation goodbye.

Osmanthus x burkwoodii, waiting in a pot to be planted in the Northwest Territory, smells heavenly.

The tiny species tulips are showing here and there in the garden. This one popped up in between some Libertia peregrinans.
More little white flowers. This is Mukdenia rossii 'Karasuba', but what happened to its red leaves?
Lastly, a little green taste of Cornus 'Eddie's White Wonder', just beginning to flower. This tree will probably be bloomed-and-leafed out by May's Bloom Day.
 Thank you, Carol, for hosting Bloom Day at May Dreams Gardens each month.

Happy Belated Bloom Day and Happy Easter!


6 comments:

  1. Such pretty flowers, Jane! Hope you had a good time at Hortlandia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Osmanthus. The flowers smell so wonderful. I'm trying to eradicate some vinca that I naively brought into the garden years ago. Since I live in a rural area, I don't feel comfortable having it, but sometimes you have to take whatever will grow in a harsh area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to trying lewisia. The flowers are so pretty.I just planted Mahonia repens last week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Camelias! I think your species tulip is T. dasystemon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Camellias in large, shady containers and Loropetalum chinense are a couple ideas I'm adapting out of your post! I'd say your blooms are impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flowers are beautiful!
    I've never heard of Lewisias before, they're pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for jumping through the annoying but necessary word verification hoop to leave your thoughts!