Thursday, June 15, 2017

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - June 2017

It's Bloom Day, the 15th of the month already, and time to record the flowers blooming at Longview Ranch. After a very wet and cold spring we had a short period of sun and heat, but now we're back to cool, cloudy, very typical Northwest June weather.

So, starting in the Northwest Territory, we have the first flowers of Erigeron glaucus. They don't like hot sun, but they will respond to the warmth of summer with lots more blooms later on.


A native Penstemon.

Sidalcea oregana, Oregon Mallow.

Lewisia columbianum var rupicola has been blooming for months.

A pretty native that belongs in the Northwest Territory but ended up in the MulchMaid's garden, Lilium columbianum.

Trachelospermun jasminoides is just beginning to bloom. It wants more heat as much as I do.

The NOID Olea is covered with flowers. Are olives in my future this year?

Callistemon viridfloris is almost over, but here's one last bottlebrush flower.

I haven't always been able to smell Daphne x transatlantica 'Eternal Fragrance' so well, but right now it's strong and delightful.

I took this picture before the Mulch Man had to cut Rosa 'Sally Holmes' back after she ripped her tie-ups and fell over while we were away. We don't know what did it, but there were reports of high wind gusts and heavy rain. I'll miss her lovely flush of bloom against our chimney.

Eremuris are looking happy all over Portland this spring, and my three are getting in on the act.

Sisyrinchium striatum appreciated the spring rains.


Solidago 'Lemon Baby' is blooming in appreciation of the increased light following the Ceanothus removal.

Halimium ocymoides
'Sarah'.

Eryngium x zabelii 'Neptune's Gold' has lovely golden-green foliage, but the bracts are fairly green.

I'll leave you with a simple but satisfying color combo. Who could resist this bright duo of Lavender and California poppy?

Scoot over to May Dreams Gardens to check out more blooms from bloggers all over the place.

Happy Bloom Day!




9 comments:

  1. Love those Eremerus. Alas, mine did not return this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, so many that I adore. That Lewisia is amazing, I'll have to find one of those. And the native lily, and beach daisy..and and and...my Eremurus are JUST starting to bloom, I must be a week or so behind you. And yes, it looks like you could have olives this year! I brined the small harvest I got last year and they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Sidalcea oregana, Oregon Mallow as "Oregon Mildew" perhaps indicative of how I'm feeling about the weather?

    Also those are gorgeous Eremerus. You, Heather and Alan are all so good at growing these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always like seeing Portland Bloom Day posts, because they're often a little preview of the Seattle area. My Eremurus are up, but not open yet. They're such a great flower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks so good. I do want some Eremurus - is fall the best time to plant them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know. I planted the orange one this spring. The two yellow ones I bought at the NWFGS four years ago and planted in early spring that year.

      Delete
  6. Love the Eremurus, and the blue Penstemon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If only I could give you 10F of our heat...all summer...we'd both be happy! So forget the Star Jasmine not getting enough heat, the rest is amazing...the Eremuris is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for jumping through the annoying but necessary word verification hoop to leave your thoughts!