Saturday, July 15, 2017

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - July 2017

It's Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, the monthly opportunity to record what's blooming in our gardens and share it with the blogging world. Although I've attended four Garden Bloggers Flings, I have yet to meet our generous Bloom Day host, Carol, but since I've been posting for Bloom Day since May of 2009, I have over eight years of flower records I can look back on thanks to her meme.

This month, I'm trying something different by focusing on just a few colors. Join me as I celebrate the red and orange fiesta blooming in my garden right now.

My neighbor's Campsis radicans is a show unto itself. I love that she's willing to grow, prune and maintain this vision of orange - I get to enjoy it every day with none of the work! It's easy to see why hummingbirds love this vine and it is covered with bees, too.

I love the peachy-orange color of Kniphofia 'Timothy', and so does our resident hummingbird.

This might be Crocosmia 'Corona' but I think it's a different, unknown cultivar. Who needs a name when you're this striking?

Abutilon megapotamicum had a tough winter and is only now beginning to bloom.
Callistemon 'Woodlander's Hardy Red'.

Penstemmon pinifolius, loving summer like I do.

Sphearalcea 'Newleaze Coral' was killed to the ground over winter, but has rebounded to put on new growth and flowers again.

Agastache 'Coronado Red'. I can see the A. rupestris heritage in this cultivar.

Hesperaloe parviflora. Okay it's kind of pink but it definitely counts in my book.

And last, the little, cool flowers of Pelargonium sidoides. Yes, they ARE red (if you add a lot of blue.)


Bloom Day is hosted on the 15th of each month by Carol of May Dreams Gardens. Check out her post and those of other bloggers via this link.

Happy Bloom Day!

12 comments:

  1. So many beautiful oranges and reds! I planted the Calistemon this year - does it bloom during the first year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine took a few years to bloom, Phillip. But it was in a pot for the first two, so that might have made a difference. I think it bloomed the year after I finally got it in the ground. But patience is worth it with this one!

      Delete
  2. Lots of my favs here, including that Newleaze coral desert mallow, but just too big for my garden. Happy BD, Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit big and sprawly for my garden, too, Denise, but I can't make myself heave it out.

      Delete
  3. That's a beautiful Kniphofia! Mine are done flowering. I need to cut out the dead flower spikes, maybe they'll put out more. A great set of colors to focus on for Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I met Carol on the Seattle Fling, I could be wrong but I believe that's the last one she's attended. I love that you included your neighbors trumpet vine, that might be the best looking (cared for) specimen I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressed at those agastaches up there...my town has a bias against them based on a few opinions. But a few have ignored that or were just unknowing, and theirs thrive. I should try them somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your color themed approach -gives one a bit of focus when deciding which blooms to feature out of so many this time of year !

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such beautiful bright blooms in your garden. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Superb idea to focus on a few colors. Sure is a lot of pretty going on in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful blooms! I grow Kniphofia 'Timothy' as well and shared it on my Bloom Day post. I love its peachy colors and it's been generous in bloom for me too. After not having it for a number of years, I planted Pelargonium sidoides in my containers again this year -- they're bit shy of bloom so far, but I hope they'll get rolling soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Trumpet Vine! Wow! I'm dying to have one but I know it would be asking for trouble.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for jumping through the annoying but necessary word verification hoop to leave your thoughts!