Thursday, March 15, 2018

Garden bloggers Bloom Day - March 2018

Lately, my travel adventures are interfering with my timely posting on Bloom Day. And, last month I never posted at all! I have some catching up to do (and it's almost spring!) so here are a few blooms for this March Bloom Day.

The native Mahonia are in full bloom in the Northwest Territory. here is M. aquifolium.


And this is M. repens. The blossoms look the same to me, although the foliage easy to tell apart.

Another native blooming in the Northwest Territory is the pretty-in-pink Ribes sanguineum.

And a blooming native hybrid is the lovely Osmanthus x burkwoodii


The very last blossoms of Camellia sasanqua 'Yuletide" are still hanging on...

...while the spring-blooming camellias are starting up. Here's the first, not-quite-open bloom of Camellia x 'April Kiss'.

And here are the tiny, fleeting blossoms of C. transnokoensis.

The odd little flowers of Ribes davidii.

Flowers on a NOID Epimedium.

Daphne x transatlantica 'Eternal Fragrance', of course!

The elusive little flowers of Grevillea australis.

This particular Lewisia cotyledon 'Sunset Series' has been blooming it's head off for a month now.

Luzula sylvatica 'Aurea' with its little brown blossom/seeds.

My only Hellebore is finally getting into the act this year.

 And we can't overlook Arctostaphylos x 'Austin Griffiths', still blooming from two months ago.

Let's end this post with a blast of fire, Primula 'Cowichan Red'.

I'm joining in the monthly Bloom Day fun at May Dreams Gardens today. Happy Bloom Day!

11 comments:

  1. Oh, that Osmanthus looks like it might be deliciously fragrant... is it? I'm a big fan of Luzulas too. Such a great grass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hardly any scent so far this year, but if the sun shines on it...

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous hellebores, and I can just smell that mahonia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Odd question, does your Grevillea austalis fall over in the snow? Mine is a sprawling mess two years in a a row. Lewisia blooms already?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loree, the G. australis spread out under the snow, but recovered nicely after I shook it off. Maybe because it's relatively young (planted in 2015)?

      Delete
  4. I love all of these, especially the Osmanthus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was an enormous Osmanthus in the garden of our rental house the first year we lived here, the hummers loved it! We heard it was supposed to have quite a scent, but I could only smell it if I got very close. That Lewisia is amazing, and I love the color of the Primula!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm attracted to the odd little flowers on the Ribes and the Luzula...everything else is so "pretty".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice collection of PNW natives. I like that Primula!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun to see so many unfamiliars. For only one Hellebore, you chose well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos of beautiful plants. I wish I had something to share but spring is coming slowly here. Looking forward to meeting you in Austin.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for jumping through the annoying but necessary word verification hoop to leave your thoughts!