Monday, October 15, 2018

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - October 2018

Was it really as long ago as June that I last blogged?! Yikes! Well I'm back this month for Bloom Day, with a report on my flowers for October.

First up, in the Northwest Territory, is the Beach Daisy,  Erigeron glaucus, still pushing out some blooms.
Keeping it company, color-wise, is a big-box aster,  Symphyotrichum novi-belgii, I picked up last year. It got tall and flopped over while I was away for three weeks but it's still a wonderful fluff of purple in the garden. Next year I'll stake it.
I'm not sure if this is Cyclamen coum or C. hederifolium. Whichever it is, the foliage is as charming as the blooms.

My summer splurge on a bougainvillea has rewarded me for months. It just keeps blooming!
After a haircut in late August, the Catmint, Nepeta racemosa 'Walker's Low', paid me (and the pollinators) back by having a second flush of bloom.

I bought two Kangaroo Paws, Anigozanthos 'Bush Ranger' early in summer; they have bloomed non-stop and they show no signs of quitting anytime soon.

These Pyracantha 'Mohave' berries are as exciting to me as any flowers; every year since we planted them in 2008, they have suffered from fireblight and formed no berries. I'm guessing our drier spring made the difference this year, since moisture is a factor in the spread of fireblight.

The last fiery flowers of Echinacea 'Sombrero Red'.

Monardella macrantha 'Marian Sampson' hanging in with some last blooms.

Agastache 'Acapulco Orange' is past its prime, but still flowering. Since I never water this plant, it's hard to be too critical of its looks.

Of course this is not a flower, but the turning leaves of Fothergilla 'Mt. Airy' are a fabulous color in the garden.

Abutilon megapotamicum keeps on keeping on.

Every year, it's a race between Tetrapanax papyrifer 'Steroidal Giant' blooms and a cold snap. Is this the year we'll have blossoms?

Just beginning: Fatsia japonica flowers.

Mahonia 'Soft Caress' is brightening up the space under a Trachycarpus palm.

And last, they don't look like much from here, but the fading blooms on Lagerstroemia 'Natchez' are still peppering the deck with tiny florets and making me happy.
Bloom Day is hosted on the 15th of each month by Carol at May Dreams Gardens. Click over to see more blooms from all over.

Happy Bloom Day!

10 comments:

  1. What wonderful colors! It's something special to have flowers around. Your post makes me even more antsy for my southern hemisphere garden to break out in color! Right now, I just have tiny sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the bright red and orange! Very pretty cyclamen, too!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see a post from you again. Lots of glorious autumn color in your garden. Fingers crossed that the tetrapanax will win this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely to see what's blooming in your garden! I'd not heard of quite a few of these including the kangaroo paws - the blooms are so interesting!

    I've also been more absent than not on the blog scene this year - I'm always so happy, though, when I do find time to do some writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden put on a good homecoming show. Let me add my "Welcome Back!"
    rickii

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful fall scenes, Jane. My kangaroo paws gave up blooming long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those Beach Daisies are really nice - never seen them before!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quality before quantity. Nothing bad about that.

    Looks like you are having a beautiful autumn. Congratulations on a happy Anigozanthos--mine are still alive but that's about the only positive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice flowers for so late in the season. Neither my Fatsia or Tetrapanax have buds yet, let alone flowers. But they've got leaves, so I guess I shouldn't complain. :) Oh and the Cyclamen, definitely hederafolium. The coums are still a few months away.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for jumping through the annoying but necessary word verification hoop to leave your thoughts!