Monday, July 13, 2009

Sauvie Island (semi-)wildflowers

These are probably some pretty domesticated wildflowers: Sauvie Island has been cultivated for at least a hundred years. I have to say I have no idea what most of them are. But they're all a delight on a misty Sunday morning walk on the Oak Island loop. We pretty much had the place to ourselves except for a few well-behaved dogs and their people.

These little daisy-like flowers remind me of camomile, but the foliage isn't right.

An entire meadow full of them makes me want to take up painting!

Along the Oak Island walk, there's an abandoned farmhouse that's off-limits. But the remnants of its hidden garden remain to tantalize. This rambler was climbing over blackberries, I think. Or maybe it was the other way around...

Even the emerging grass seed-heads were wonderful: little soft tassels with stripes.

Grass heads, teasel and some kind of aster, I think.

These reminded me of lupine flowers, but I've never seen yellow and orange lupines.

And last, the ubiquitous Queen Anne's Lace. I don't care if it's common...it's still one of my favorite wildflowers.

2 comments:

  1. There was a map in the paper this morning showing Sauvie island and I was so surprised to see that there was such a large part of the island that I was totally unaware of. Looks like you are in the know! Thanks for the wild flower tour! I especially like the rambler and the grass tassels with stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture of the striped grass seed-heads. It looks like something you'd pay money to plant in your garden. I should really go for a walk out there, I usually just go to the nursery then head home. I bet you see a lot of good wildlife.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for jumping through the annoying but necessary word verification hoop to leave your thoughts!